4.14.2009

WFMW- "homemade" salsa

In my mind it is impossible to beat homemade salsa... but if the tomatoes aren't super ripe it's no good, so for us it's usually not an option except in the summer. It's also somewhat of an ordeal to dice all the ingredients. This recipe is a great compromise between fresh homemade salsa and store-bought.

Our friends the Snipes brought this to our Mexican-style Easter lunch on Sunday and it was a huge hit. They were gracious enough to leave us a bowl of the leftovers... but I forgot to snap a picture until after it was all gone! It's just that good.

1 can Rotel
1 can italian style diced tomatoes
finely diced onion (to taste)
minced garlic (to taste)
salt (recommend going light on the salt and tasting before adding too much)

That's it. Seriously... that's all there is to it!

Since I'm a self-proclaimed Aldi-aholic and I don't believe they carry the italian style diced tomatoes I will probably try to make this with regular diced tomatoes and add some basil, oregano, italian seasoning, etc. It's at least worth a try.

8 comments:

Noel said...

interesting... If I make salsa I've always made it the hard way, huge amounts, tomatoes from the vine, canning. I'll have to try this though during the winter months when I don't have fresh tomatoes growing in the garden. Thanks for the recipe

~*Michelle*~ said...

I think I am gonna try this.....I make my own salsa during the summer months, but this works great when the fresh ingredients are not available!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I've been wanting to try making my own salsa - this sounds like a good place to start!

The Trendy Family said...

This is a great way to do it... you can also throw whole peeled tomatoes, one onion, one jalepeno, three cloves of garlic, and a squeeze of one lemon in a blender and it tastes like a Mexican resturant!

MediMonsters said...

I LOVE salsa! Thanks for the recipe.

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. I love Mexican food, so I will definitely try this out!

Frugal Sara said...

Sounds good. My husband loves salsa. He made his own this last summer from items in our garden. He made 8 jars and we are on our last one!

emw said...

Thanks friends! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Let me know if you come up with any yummy variations!