5.27.2009

baby "splat mat"

In our apartment our baby's high chair sits on carpet... not good! Since Baby Girl is now tackling finger foods this is really not good! I started searching online for a mat to put under her high chair to make clean-up easier.
$44

$26

$35
WHAT??! For a piece of plastic or oilcloth!! I was in shock.

While shopping one day my Mom ran across this vinyl tablecloth for $4.99.

It was cute, not the typical red and white check or floral patterns that you usually see.

It was cheap.

It was HUGE... I could cover the whole dining area floor if I wanted to with this thing.

Instead I cut it down to an appropriate size.

Then I hemmed it with a zigzag stitch all the way around.

Done... that was it! It works great! It isn't quite as heavy-duty as oilcloth would be... but I have so much table cloth left that whenever this mat wears out I can make another one very quickly and easily!
On a side note... I also made a bib to match! (Though it's way too big and probably won't really fit Baby Girl until she's 5... or 9... oh well!

For more Works for Me tips check out... We are THAT Family!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Great idea! I love how you used the extra to make a bib!

Nena said...

This is a great idea! Our high chair is on tile, but man do I get sick of sweeping 300 times a day. I am definatly going to have to do this!

Thanks for the idea!

annies home said...

great idea I love this and think I will be trying it the next time the little ones are here

Haley Hale said...

I am searching the internet for splat mats, but they are outrageous! Since I have TWIN boys, I am going to have to buy 2. I am glad to see that someone else was brave enough to try out a vinyl tablecloth. I thought about it, but wasn't sure how well it would work. Thanks for sharing your idea!

Sarah (Ana's Mum) said...

love it! I've been looking for one and actually struggling to find them. We're in a carpeted apartment too....and it's getting grubby!
www.travellingwithana.wordpress.com