Here's what I do:
- boil the chicken then take it out of the pot and take the meat off the bone
- put the bones back in the pot
- add a whole onion, quartered, skin and all
- add carrots and celery (I save the ends of these in the freezer until I make stock that way I am not wasting a perfectly good carrot)
- add some whole peppercorns
- add a little salt (I know, I know... not super healthy but I love it)
- add some bay leaves
Then just let it all boil... and boil and boil.
Drain well using a wire mesh strainer.
Pour the stock into pitchers and put in the fridge overnight.
Next day, skim the fat off the top.
Then... here's the best part... I pour approximately 1 cup of stock into plastic cups on a cookie sheet. Then I put the cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen I pop out the stock and store the chunks in freezer bags.
It's so helpful to not have to use a freezer bag for every cup of stock I want to freeze and it's very easy to just take out however many "cups" I need for a recipe.
Check out Life as Mom for more Frugal Friday tips!!