12.10.2008

easy italian bread appetizer

Last night we hosted my sister and her boyfriend for dinner during exams. We had homemade pizza and green beans... nothing fancy... but I needed something else.

We really enjoying dipping bread in olive oil and spices and have these spices in the pantry for doing so, but I really still didn't have a good italian bread recipe. So I improvised.

Early in the afternoon I made a batch of pizza dough!

1 packet yeast (or 1 Tbls.)
1 c. warm water
2 Tbls. olive oil
1 Tbls. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 c. flour

I added some basil, oregano, garlic powder and italian seasoning for extra flavor. Let it rise 1 hour. Then formed 4 little loaves, put them on a greased and cornmealed cookie sheet and let them rise about another hour. Baked at 425 for... I don't remember... just watch them.

Then right before dinner I sliced the bread, wrapped it in tinfoil and heated in the oven on 350. We had the olive oil and spices mix, garlic butter and marinara for dipping. It was a hit and super easy and inexpensive.

We'll be having this again!

No comments: