However, I love it!! I've learned that it can be used in lots of different ways and the bread makes great gifts.
You have to have a sourdough starter to use these (I have never actually made the starter before) but ask around and there's a good chance someone you know knows someone who has an aunt who has some starter they could share.
This is what I do with it:
1. I don't follow the instructions to feed the starter every 2-3 days. I have waited up to two weeks to feed it and it's been fine. This is very freeing!
2. I have made muffins with the dough. Put a little blob in your muffins tins and they rise faster and cook faster than the bread. These freeze great and it's easy to pull out a few for dinner for the two of us.
3. Gifts- folks really seems to like this bread. I make big loaves and mini loaves to give away to people at different times. It's a big hit and shh... easy and inexpensive!
4. Cinnamon Rolls- this is my big triumph in the area of sourdough bread. I made these last Saturday and not to toot my own horn, but they are amazing! Jon agrees and he doesn't usually get super excited about food.
5. Cinnamon Swirl Bread- I'm making this today for the first time. I just spread the dough out, put some butter, brown sugard and cinnamon on it, rolled it up and plopped the lump in the pan. We'll see how it turns out... I have high hopes.
If anyone uses their sourdough starter for other things I'd love to get more ideas!